We’re looking for six people to fill our mechanics traineeship for 2023. This traineeship is for women, and all trans and non-binary folk. This is an exciting and alternative supported route into the world of bike mechanics and our second round of this training following our pilot last year.
It is based at the Broken Spoke Bike Coop Workshop in central Oxford – St. Thomas School, Osney Lane, Oxford, OX1 1NJ. Starting Saturday 7th January 2023, and ending end of April 2023 (Cytech exam at Activate Academy in Blackbird Leys likely to be scheduled in May 2023)
What can I expect?
The traineeship will be based around eight core training days for the six trainees run by professional non cis-male mechanics and trainers in our workshop and a series of mentoring days in our workshop, to help prepare you for taking the Cytech Technical Two assesment in May 2023.
Full days of training on the following eight dates:
- Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th January
- Sunday 22nd January
- Sunday 5th February
- Sunday 19th February
- Saturday 4th and Sunday 5th March
- Sunday 19th March
Alongside these dedicated training days, which will just be the trainees and the trainer (think bike school!), the traineeship will involve you spending one seven-hour day a week for twelve weeks in the workshop between January and May in order to gain the necessary hands-on experience and develop the skills acquired through this training. These mentoring days will be scheduled with you depending on your availability just after interview. You will be volunteering across a mixture of our programmes (repairs, bike recycling, mechanics courses and our DIY workshop) with support and mentorship from our session lead mechanics. One of those days will be in a different workshop outside Oxford and a second to be in another bike shop in Oxford.
Over the course of the traineeship, we will have regular one-to-one and group check-ins to help you get the most out of your training. In these sessions, we will reflect on your experiences and progress against your goals, discuss any areas that you feel you need additional support with, and signpost you to other support as needed.
You will be expected to attend all of the training and mentoring days without exception. Please let us know now if you anticipate this being a problem.
- Eight full days of training with professional non cis-male mechanics and trainers with a vegetarian lunch provided on these days
- An additional twelve volunteer mentoring shifts in the workshop with support and mentoring from our session lead mechanics
- Support in creating an individual development plan that will help you meet your own learning goals and achieve the impact that you want to with your new skills
- Funding your Cytech technical two exam and supporting you to get any extra experience that you need in the workshop to be ready to take the exam;
- Free tea, coffee and biscuits
- All round good vibes in our colourful central Oxford workshop
- In-house non-mechanical skills training session with our team
- Funded first aid training
How much does it cost?
We have three pay what you can cost brackets:
Payments can be made in instalments.
If cost is a strong barrier to you applying, please get in touch. We have a number of fully funded places available. These are not means tested and we don’t ask for an explanation or proof – just drop us a message.
If you are able to, please consider paying for a higher cost place to help us subsidise this course for others. We will send payment information once successful applicants have been chosen.
How can I apply?
- Download and complete the application form and complete the monitoring form
- Email your application form to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about this traineeship, get in touch with Inês at email@example.com (Inês normally works Monday to Thursday)
Deadline for applications: 9pm on Sunday 27th November 2022
Interview dates: Wednesday 30th November and Thursday 1st December
Traineeship starting 7th January 2023