5 things you might not know about critical mass & how to join us for the next one.
- Critical mass is a cycling event held on the last Friday of every month.
- It originated in 1992 in San Francisco. By the end of 2003, the event was being held in over 300 cities around the world.
- The name comes from the method of negotiating intersections without signals understood by motorists and bicyclists in China.* Traffic would queue up at these intersections until the backlog reached a “critical mass”, at which point that mass would move through the intersection.
- The event has sparked a number of spin-offs including the Critical Tits bare chested ride at Burning Man festival.
- Okay, this is the important one. There’s an appropriately themed Halloween Critical Mass in Oxford on Friday 31st October. Meet at Broad Street at 5.30pm wearing your scariest costume. We’ll be there with our mobile sound system to play some devilish-good tracks as we cycle around town.
* According to Wikipedia.