Whether you want to learn to ride a bike, or give your skills a brush-up, our instructors can help you gain the confidence to ride happily, safely, and comfortably on the roads.
* Cycle Training during COVID-19 *
We have just reopened Cycle Training booking for one-on-one adult sessions. Please note, we are unable to run Bikeability training for children and families until March 29th.
We are still not able to offer Level 1A (for those unable to balance on a bike) due to social distancing measures. Levels 1B, 2 and 3 are able to continue with distancing measures in place.
Broken Spoke’s cycle training is designed to make you feel safe and confident while using your bike on the roads. Our instructors are there to help you learn new ways of making cycling a more regular activity.
We teach adults and children urban cycling skills on a one-to-one basis; from complete beginners to those who would like to brush up their skills and master urban cycling. The Bikeability accredited training that we offer has three levels, and everyone completes each level in order to progress onto the next. This could be a 20 minute assessment of your current skill level, or it could mean a couple of sessions getting to grips with foundational cycling skills.
- Level 1a – Taught at an off-the-road location, you will learn how to steer and balance on a bicycle.
- Level 1b – Still taught off the road, you will learn the skills to control and master the bicycle, ready to move on to level 2.
- Level 2 – You will get out on the roads! Level 2 gives you a real cycling experience so that you are able to deal with quiet roads and/or short journeys.
- Level 3 – You will learn the skills to tackle a wider variety of traffic conditions. When you reach level 3 standard you will be able to deal with all types of road conditions and more challenging traffic situations.
All three levels can be taught in a few 2-hour sessions spread over a few weeks.
“There are several roads I wouldn’t have dreamt of cycling on before this training but I now take confidently. I am much less nervous of cars and other vehicles and am confident at maintaining control position when I feel it is unsafe for me to be passed due to the road conditions.”
“I’m staggered by the difference in confidence I have when using roads from just six hours of lesson. My instructor was always polite, helpful and superb at explaining how to tackle difficult junctions. He was very flexible in allowing me to raise my concerns and worries and then took the time to repeat various junctions until I was comfortable with them. He was very supportive, patient and took time to praise me when improvements were made.”
“I am very grateful to have taken this training and I have been cycling several times a week since my first lesson which I am intending to maintain. I have always been nervous about riding around the city due to exposure to witnessing accidents but I will not be renewing my bus pass this year and thanks to the instructor, I will instead be cycling as much as possible! Thank you!”